Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Havasupai Hike

This past weekend we hiked Havasupai which is part of the Grand Canyon. It is 20 miles round trip. Jared twisted both ankles going down and seemed to limp the whole time we were there. We witnessed a flash flood about 5 hours after we arrived. Fortunately it wasn't as bad as the ranger said it would be. The kids almost got a helicopter ride out (we were all disappointed). It was quite the adventure and Jordan said she would do it again.
Jordan's so graceful as she falls from the rope swing. She kept up with all the boys just fine.
David was very adventerous. I had to remind him that he has 5 children.
After the flood came through, the swimming was over. We were just thankful we got a chance to swim and see the falls with the beautiful turquoise water.
In order to get to Mooney Falls there's a couple of caves you have to go through. Notice the chains on the side of the photo. You hang onto these for dear life as you hike down.
Our group of hikers at Mooney Falls. I hope this will be an annual tradition.

We started hiking at 8:30pm in the dark with headlamps. By about 1:00am we stopped for the night. Sometime in the early morning, Colton ( David's nephew) started screaming and we were too tired to go see what the commotion was. But from the moonlight it looked as if something bit him. We saw lots of scorpions on the way down so needless to say I didn't sleep much after that. In the morning we found out that a beetle crawled into Colton's ear and took it's sweet time crawling out. I think next time I'll insist we put up the tent.

Jared had fun on the rope swing. Wow!! We need to get some meat on those bones!
We had a lot of fun at Navajo Falls. Swimming in the ice cold water and jumping off the falls. I heard this is like Hawaii. I am anxious to compare in about 5 weeks.


3 comments:

Tendra said...

Hi Paula Jean!

Wow! What a hike! That looks amazing. I'm glad you're posting again. It will be fun to keep up with you guys through the blog. I haven't been doing it very long, but it sure is fun, and I really enjoy staying in touch with people. I can't wait for pics from Hawaii!

Tendra said...

Hi Paula Jean!

Wow! What a hike! That looks amazing. I'm glad you're posting again. It will be fun to keep up with you guys through the blog. I haven't been doing it very long, but it sure is fun, and I really enjoy staying in touch with people. I can't wait for pics from Hawaii!

The Cranes said...

I'm impressed! I've heard that is quite a challenging hike. Nate's sister just went on it a few weeks ago. Wonder if it was at the same time? You're going to Hawaii? I'm envious!